Originally Posted by 1frugalmom
Disillusioned! Absolutely!!!! You would think educators would be better trained in dealing with both ends of the bell curve, and we naively thought they would be happy to work with someone on the high end - how fun should that be to really be able to challenge a bright kid; a kid that loves to learn?

This may be one of the most largely ignored and unrealized truths about education, that we "assume" that teachers are well prepared by college to teach a broad range of learning capabilities and learning styles. Rarely if ever do I hear ANY talk about teacher education reform, only reform of educating our children. It's almost impossible to have the later without the former.

I remember talking with my wife about this subject, she's a public school teacher with 31 years experience. She said when she went to college for education, they only were required to take ONE class on teaching methodology....ONE. They also had no education on how to involve parents in their own child's learning nor did they get any education / coaching on how to talk with parents who had concerns.....is it any wonder then we view the vast majority of teachers as unable to complete the work they're hired for in an acceptable manner?