Originally Posted by blackcat
... I want them to vote for the levy. I voted for school levies before I had children (and we didn't know if we'd ever have children). So why aren't people voting for it? They can't think of anyone besides themselves?
Earlier in this thread, when you mentioned having "too many old people with no kids" living in your public school district, I summarized and shared several thoughts I've become aware of, from the opposition view point who seem to match this demographic. (link- http://giftedissues.davidsongifted....o_you_feel_about_the_p.html#Post172782As)
... wealthy as this district is, it is nonsensical.
Not knowing your district or the actual wealth of residents there, nor whether the wealth of "old people with no kids" is being drained by medical issues, I cannot further illuminate for you what the opposing view(s) may be.
... spending $1k-2K less per pupil than other districts.
Some of this cost may depend upon the teacher salary and benefit costs, also possibly the tenure and relative experience of teachers. Costs may be found in school district budgets, and at the Department of Education.
... They are going to go to a 4-day school week, close one of the schools, cut the music program, cut busing so kids will be walking across the highways, etc.
Districts may list the most dramatic potential cuts in attempt to pass a levy, and when a levy does not pass they may make other cuts which have less impact upon students. The sharing of worst case scenario is sometimes seen as a scare tactic. Again, looking at costs may prove helpful.