I have a generally dim view of the US K-16 education system as a whole. IMO, it rests on flawed philosophies. As an example, how much can you expect from a system that defines a highly qualified teacher as someone who has a BA in any subject, has passed a test, and has a certification? See information here. I see these requirements as being the minimum, not the gold standard implied by the term highly qualified.

Another huge problem pushed by our schools (and others) is the fantasy that anyone can become president/a scientist/whatever. This inclusive philosophy sounds nice, but the reality is that classes end up being watered down in the name of accessibility while students get pushed into going to college. Many end up in remedial courses there and lose income while incurring debt. Nearly half don't graduate. Many of the ones who do have degrees in fluffy subjects like liberal studies (this is NOT the same as a liberal arts college) or business or journalism that don't 1) teach them much or 2) get them jobs. Unless you count service jobs or security jobs as a good use of your pricey BA. All in the name of phony equity.

Then there is the multibillion dollar multiple choice test industry. They generally test factoids and encourage a superficial approach to learning.

Okay, I have to stop now...but I could go on.