I don't really have one opinion of "the public school system." It's too large of an entity. Even within one district--even within one school--my children's experiences have varied dramatically from year to year. I feel lucky that we have the gifted magnet and recognize ou good fortune there.

DS5 has a very good teacher there who is going WAY out of her way for him without us having done much to make that happen. I believe she is truly passionate about making sure he learns at school. I am deeply touched by her devotion to meeting my child's needs.

I do feel that people expect a great deal--sometimes too much. I am sympathetic to the teachers' situation. I do not envy them. I do blame the test-crazed culture and also the constant "You have to do this, you have to do that" and "New rule, new rule!" nonsense for a lot of the problematic culture.

As to many/most people being happy--I think this is true, but some of this is congitive dissnonance. It's uncomfortable being unhappy and dissatisifed. It's like how everyone hates Congress but thinks their personal representatives are okay. Everyone thinks schools are failing as a whole but rates their own school as pretty good. If they thought it was terrible, but left their children there and did nothing--well, what does that say about them?