DS is only 4.5 so I can't completely relate but knowing his personality (very oppositional too), I wouldn't ask him to do work over the Spring break. 1. he deserves a break too, 2. when other kids talk after the break about all the stuff they did, I am pretty sure someone would make fun of him for doing school work when the rest of them had a break, 3. one week of break is not going to make him forget what he's learned. He is a fast learner so he will be right back to it when the break is over, 4. he's constantly learning "something" ... just might not be based on the school curriculum but walks outside, car ride, store trips, etc. ... he's constantly describing what he sees, what it means to him. It is real lifeskill training so no need for academics.

We will be most likely homeschooling when the Fall comes (Kindergarten) and even then I am planning to focus on school work only to the extent of the grade minimum curriculum and as for the rest, we will guide him in certain directions but will let him choose what he wants to do. He spends a lot of time on ABCMouse, Starfall, Dreambox, PBSplay ... he sees all that as "games" but we know he's learning and he does it all voluntarily.

I can see why you would want to get more done given your goals for the Fall but maybe I'd do a real Spring break without homework and then do an extra 5 minutes a day when the break is over?