Hi MegMeg - I'm pretty new here, and was hesitant to post, but I had to support you on this... I feel your pain, completely. DS8 is a fairly good self starter, but goodness me forget it if I suggest it at the wrong moment, in the wrong mood. He'd have the tantrum about the whole thing, but then go do it in the end and *be so glad*, much like you described. I also have another one who is twice as difficult. Sigh. DD6 is not as obviously gifted as DS8, but is emerging quickly (and she's the whole package - socially ahead as well as academically high on target or ahead). And she is stubborn as a mule, with emotional outbursts that you wouldn't believe (OK, maybe you do, but SO many people do not -- especially when they see her as her quiet, sweet, adorable public self!). She finally admitted to me the other day that she 'likes fighting with' me. I suggested I teach her how to debate, so she can get that 'fight' in but in a way that isn't hurtful, and she said 'no, I just like to fight with you.' At least I finally got a bit of honesty from her, but it doesn't make it better!

I too will be 'making' my kids do homework over spring break. My motives are more simply to keep us functioning - DS does not do well w/a total lack of structure (as much as he says he wants it, he just goes to pieces). I prefer to be relaxed about our "schedule" when possible, but have come to the realization that for all of our sanity I cannot. So we've got a new and improved, fully mapped out day, with times that they have to start homework and chores, etc. (Don't worry, there is PLENTY of time built into the day for free play!! We live in a lovely neighborhood with lots of same-age kids, and they - also for everyone's sanity!! - go outside and run around with their friends as much as possible!! or read, or play with Legos or whatever they feel like doing... but preferably outside to run around now that its getting warm!! :-) and it is flexible enough that we can switch things around, if a friend can't be out til later, just swap homework and chores to before play, etc.). We will be keeping up that schedule over the break for the most part, with just a lot more time for free play. I expect plenty of push back on this from both of them, but its still the right thing to do.