just left a voice mail for the "gifted coordinator at the school. Not sure why I didn't think of this before. I guess because they don't have a gifted program and she hasn't yet been id as "gifted" because they don't do that yet...but IF there is a GC, which there does seem to be, since I just left her a voice mail, then maybe I can request a pull-out for her for LA. She would sill have the teacher for homeroom, but maybe she will still like to read when the year is done if she is pulled out for LA...

I doubt they will do it, but since there isn't really a program in place yet, maybe they will be willing to work with us on this.

Is there a particular way to approach the personality problem between the LA teacher and my daughter? Are there things I shouldn't say - like - "I don't think the teacher likes smart kids." Or, "My daughter is scared to anything in her class." I know that pointing out social issues helps the cause...but the only social issue she is having at them moment is with the teacher...knocking her down...and making her feel stupid over and over again.

She also doesn't have ANY close friends, but she doesn't seem to be THAT bothered by that. She doesn't really click with anyone although they all like her.

I've been told skipping isn't going to happen, asking to switch teacher almost never happens (besides, her switch teacher for Math is pretty cool. I would hate to see her lose her.)

But with her high tests scores on the CMT's I might be taken seriously by the GC to help provide services for her...hopefully OUTSIDE the negative classroom. I still can't help feel sorry for the poor kids who are stuck with this woman and MAY me struggling readers...hearing over and over that they need to WORK on reading...

I told the teacher DD9 was coming from a Montessori background and she said something like..."NO wonder she likes to read! Well, we will fix that!" Something like that..it was more.."No wonder she likes to read, but we can make her understand what she is reading at our school." Mind you, this woman has NEVER seen anything my child has read or wrote and doesn't even know her name that well.

So, here's to putting all my eggs in the GC's basket...:)