Just had Open House...lots of parents stayed to ask questions..so I lingered. The teacher wanted to talk and talk..so I asked her what a 79 DRP ment...She said that my daughter is a good tester.

I let her know that I have a hard time knowing which books dd should be reading because her reading level is so high but her comprehension is only a 5th grade (topped out at 5th) and she told me that if she can't support her inferences with facts from the story then she shouldn't be reading the higher books.

But is was funny for her to look through her book at dd's scores over and over again as if they couldn't be possible...and she checked other people's scores to see if she was reading them right...everytime she looked at a good score, including the perfect in writing, she just said that she obviously can read anything you give her, but she can't read it in her class if she can't write a clear essay on the main events.

I told her I thought it was a comunication problem, not knowing what is expected of her. She told me that it was a reading problem. Hmmm.

My DD came home from school today very sad. I guess she was harsh with her. DD stood up to hand in her cursive assignment..because she finished it early and she snapped at her to sit down. She then went to her desk and told her to write "Done in 12 minutes" on it. So she did and then she waited for the time to run out. Nobody else finished the assignment. Speaking with her, it was obvious that she had no idea what DD's scores were. I have a feeling she will either come around and treat DD as the brilliant reader that she is, or find ways to push her down throughout the school year, to prove that she is "just a good test taker."

I asked DD if she wants to be homeschooled. She said No. It's gunna be a rough year. On the plus side...the Math teacher was pretty cool and I got the book to bring home...they might go really slow through it, but she doesn't know everything in it. Everyday Math sure has a strange way of presenting things, but it might go over well with her.