Originally Posted by polarbear
This has been our experience - although the teachers aren't always necessarily "baffled" - many times with our hs teachers the issue is time - they have anywhere from 4-7 different classes per week with at least 20 students in each class, so they don't want to be bothered with a student who has organizational challenges. Not accepting late work, having everything done a specific way, etc are tools they use to manage a large amount of paper-grading. And things that can be highly challenging to organizationally challenged students smile

On the flip side, I've found that for the most part our high school teachers are also much more used to having students with accommodations in their classes, and don't argue the "small" stuff like using a cell phone to take a picture of the board, using a laptop to type in place of handwriting / etc.

polarbear

So we had the 504 meeting yesterday. I asked for teachers to check planner (or phone picture) and that was deemed unreasonable because of what you reference above (so many students, etc.) That even with HS science teacher sitting there saying she does that anyway with lots of kids, informally, who have organizational challenges. smirk DS is supposed to write down assignments and get initials but it's his responsibility. We will see how that goes.

Compromise: DS has a study hall period at the end of the day and that teacher will check planner and send DS to classes to get assignments/initials where he hasn't. I think that will work.

Program coordinator said (and I agree) that by keeping up on electronic gradebook, I should be aware of assignments and due dates. I was able to demonstrate the gradebook is not up to date. So it's now in 504 that teachers record assignments within 24 hours of making them. The program coordinator commented they should be doing that anyway--so she did not feel that's unreasonable. I like that accommodation, although the district 504 coordinator made a comment that "I was getting a lot of accommodations" as if I were being demanding.

Another accommodation is that teachers respond to my email within 24 hours. The assistant principal and program coordinator both stated that this one should be a no-brainer and is expected of teachers in any case. It's now in the 504, though.

IMO, the only accommodations on the 504 that are outside of ordinary good practice are extended time (two class periods) and sending DS to gather info at the end of day. Really, the only times we've utilized the extended time have been when I didn't know about things or they were lost--so it's a safety net, not something I want to encourage for DS. If he weren't at risk of being removed from the program, I'd probably just let him learn some "natural consequences" in many cases (smaller daily assignments, etc.)

I was really uncomfortable at many points in the 504 meeting, because it was clear that school people thought I was being "over the top" in wanting very specific wording about the communication accommodations. When I'd try the "last year this didn't happen and it caused problems" angle, at one point I was instructed to "lay last year to rest and start fresh." So I guess my communication was perceived as complaining, when I really meant it to be informative to the process.

I am also to immediately report non-compliance to the appropriate administrator (one at HS level, one at MS level).

Special Ed process coordinator attended and I handed her my request for eval letter. She took NP report and also made copious notes. She seems very practical and professional. I learned in this meeting that 504 can no longer include BIP.

One point I made in meeting was that medication helps with behavioral issues but does not aid DS in learning social communication or organizational skills. I hope I did a good job being assertive. I did my best to keep it factual--unfortunately, that included needing to correct statements that were not accurate, and that was uncomfortable.

At least it is over. smile