Originally Posted by ElizabethN
I'm going to also put this in its own thread because I think it's worth it, but this article (link is a pdf file) seemed worth sharing here because of the comments in the beginning on growth vs. fixed mindsets.

Err...well, the first point in that presentation claims that "everyone can learn math to the highest levels." I find that statement offensive. Everyone most certainly cannot learn complex analysis, tensor calculus, or, even harder (!) dream up new methods for integrating complex mathematical expressions and then prove them rigorously. Claiming that anyone can do this is wishful thinking at best and can be harmful. The presentation also claims that being born with a "math brain" is a "damaging myth," which is insulting to people who clearly have talent for mathematics.

I have trouble understanding why Americans are so loathe to face the reality that some people are just smarter than others.

Believing in yourself is important, but self-confidence is effectively worthless unless accompanied by a solid understanding of your limitations.