Originally Posted by NotherBen
In the video Dr Dweck rather discards the control group.
I noticed this too, and thought it could make an interesting basis for further research study.

I wonder what internalized message they received?
It would seem that since no mindset preference was suggested or imprinted on them by the neutral compliment, their original mindset (which they may be unaware of) would have been left intact, without manipulation. Therefore a mix of beliefs.

Possibly this was done and not reported on, but it fascinates me:
1) those who may originally lean toward fixed mindset
1a) assigned to the fixed mindset group, given the compliment on score and being smart
1b) assigned to the growth mindset group, given the compliment on score and effort
1c) assigned to the control group, given the compliment and no mindset manipulation

2) those who may originally lean toward growth mindset
2a) assigned to the fixed mindset group, given the compliment on score and being smart
2b) assigned to the growth mindset group, given the compliment on score and effort
2c) assigned to the control group, given the compliment and no mindset manipulation

3) those who may originally have no discernible mindset preference or belief
3a) assigned to the fixed mindset group, given the compliment on score and being smart
3b) assigned to the growth mindset group, given the compliment on score and effort
3c) assigned to the control group, given the compliment and no mindset manipulation

I would be curious to see the extent to which the mindsets were changed by the suggestion/manipulation.

After the research study, I would hope that all students assigned to the "fixed" mindset group received counseling and coaching in developing a "growth" mindset (and were not left to languish with a set of fixed mindset beliefs). Similarly, I hope those in the neutral control group also were taught about the advantages of developing a "growth" mindset.