Eco, that's kind of where I started. But I wouldn't get a helpful answer! Asking instead, as indigo suggested, what recent research and observations have shown (in a nutshell) might be, um, less insulting and get me an open and honest response, and maybe even an exchange of ideas.

Indigo, your idea that Dr Dweck's early experience colors her view of all gifted children as having a fixed mindset, makes me think that perhaps indeed she hasn't completely overcome it herself. Perhaps that's what bothers me when I read the book.

Suevv, the presentation isn't for a while yet. But I'm starting early on thinking about it because it's summer and I have some brain cells handy, and because I want to go through all the thought iterations from blunt to considered to outraged to researched to, eventually, a selection of questions that will elicit meaningful responses. It's good to have something to obsess about smile This interchange is very helpful, and indigo has given me some great ideas, perceptions, and language to consider. I like your question, I imagine she has heard it from parents of such children in other communities, and will try to word it so that she would answer in a new way. I look forward to others' ideas, as well!