Originally Posted by Val
Dweck and Malcolm Gladwell
Different authors, different work, different message.

So, I guess my question for Dweck would be this:

How does lack of ability figure into your philosophy?
As mindset is based on research, possibly the question might be something along the lines of an inquiry into the IQ ranges of the subjects in the studies, and whether the effects of fixed vs. growth mindset were different at various IQ ranges.

She's mentioned that people can get smarter if they try hard enough (there's a link in a message I wrote in that thread Bostonian mentioned). Can an adult grow taller by trying hard? Can they people flap their arms and fly if they try hard enough (no external devices allowed)?
Some thoughts:
1) Intelligence consists of both fluid reasoning (innate) and crystallized intelligence (acquired knowledge).
2) Bob Woodruff and others have sustained brain damage and through extensive effort have regained many abilities. This is different than growing taller or flying.
3) On the forums, parents often post about their 2e children's learning disabilities, and steps taken to scaffold and remediate so that these children may learn to overcome what may be brain-based differences or deficits.
4) Mindset is based on research.
5) Nature and nurture.

Originally Posted by mindset, page 50:
The growth mindset is the belief that abilities can be cultivated. But it doesn't tell you how much change is possible or how long change will take.