Environmental influences play a huge role in intelligence, so I definitely don't see it as being something that is innate and unchangeable. Just consider the Flynn effect (the average performance on IQ tests going up over time) and the fact that there is a huge difference in IQ scores between races, but the gap is narrowing. Some people may try to argue that some races are genetically superior, but I don't buy that. That being said, some people have more cognitive potential than others at birth, but that innate ability is not enough. The person with more determination/drive may ultimately achieve more (and ultimately do better on an IQ test) than the the person born with superior innate cognitive ability (but poor effort or a poor environment). From the little I've read here, I think that may be what Carol Dweck is attempting to say. That being said, I don't necessarily agree with everything she says either, and think that it can have undesirable consequences, for instance treating people like they are all the same. I have always disliked the word "gifted" myself. I really don't care if the abilities of my children are genetic or because of something related to their upbringing or environment. Whatever the case, they are more advanced than average (at the moment, at least), and need more challenge in school than what is generally offered, so that is why I visit this site.