Originally Posted by indigo
Originally Posted by Tigerle
Like most studies, educational philosophies, ideologies, etc, her work should come with the caveat "not designed or tested for the tail ends of the bell curve below 70 and above 80".
Previous posts have discussed inquiring into the IQ ranges of student participants in the research. However the range you suggest is both very low and very narrow.

Sorry, I meant to put 70 to 130, fixed that (and I agree the range should probably be a bit higher than two standard deviations below, more like 80 to 130 .

Easy tasks should be presented as boring, not helping to develop the brain? Way to go to make the mainstreamed special ed student feel "less than."
As the body of Dweck's work discusses tasks relative to the individual, I'm quite certain that you misunderstood and/or misinterpreted this, out of-context.

No children should be allowed to Coast, with effortless success? Ever been to any elementary school lately?
The point of sharing the results of the research are to help bring about change.

Those two quotes are from the article you (IIRC) linked to a few pages earlier. I do get that this is not what you'd take away if you read her book in depth (I did, a few years ago) but this is about the depth to be expected of the average educator. Like other posters, I dislike the way she simplifies her message into one size fits all solutions.

Or the ways in the article the teacher should sit down with the struggling student, walk him through the problem...great if you have a private tutor, in class with 20 or 30 kids? Not happening.
Is this in reference to finding the impasse? There are frequent posts on the forums regarding identification of learning differences and/or disabilities, scaffolding, remediation, accommodations, instructional differences, teaching assistants, classroom aides, team meetings, etc... so we know that efforts to overcome an impasse do, in fact, happen.

They do happen once a child has been identified with a learning disability and services kick into gear. That is not the kind of struggling student Dweck appears to refer to in her article, but the kind of teaching she expects for every child so they can learn how to grow from their mistakes.

I am simply weary of solutions which might work just wonderfully If Only (insert your personal idea of educational paradise here). Unless they can be implemented by the average teacher in the average classroom with the average resources they are Not Going to Happen, but that way it's easy to just shrug and say it's not your fault.

Last edited by Tigerle; 07/17/15 06:32 AM.