Originally Posted by George C
If she has considered that gifted kids needs a more challenging environment to grow (rather than simply a change of mindset), I have yet to come across a quote of hers that states that. And I think that is what irks so many people on this board.

I caught a bit of Dweck taking calls on MN public radio last week (first hour of The Daily Circuit on 7/27) while traveling. There were a few calls regarding gifted/bright kids in the Twin Cities area. One inquired about how to encourage growth in their child who always has top scores and grades (cue 23 min remaining), and later, another parent inquired about a child in a gifted classroom, to which she did say:

"It's super important for your son to be challenged and to have a peer group that is being challenged. It's up to you, in part, to interpret what does it mean to be gifted. It just means that if you challenge yourself you grow your ability, you grow your talent in order to do wonderful things with it in the future, so you just need to interpret it. It's not a fixed trait. It's a resource that you use and grow in the service of some dream or contribution you can make in the future. I think that could help him not get stuck in that gifted fixed mindset place." (see 7:07 remaining, and then 4:05 remaining)

Edited: I found the archive and added details. There are actually two guests. Might be worth a listen. :-)

To praise or not to praise smart kids

Last edited by longcut; 08/04/15 09:05 PM.