Originally Posted by indigo
Originally Posted by NotherBen
I don't think it matters whether there is a named program as long as the opportunities are still there, but the reason they gave seems odd.
My guess is that the change may signal that the opportunities may be made available to a broader group or different group than those traditionally identified as gifted. Possibly vignettes in the book mindset, pp 63-67, may have inspired the change (whether intended as an experiment or as a permanent change).

Yes, this is exactly why. More challenges open to more students, based on their readiness each year. In a similar vein, the HS AP and honors pre-reqs have been reduced or even eliminated, such as a course or a certain grade in a certain course. This is fine. DS benefited from this change and will benefit next year, and another child of mine would have benefited. But, I don't think they polled the ES students to see whether being in the gifted program lowered their self esteem. That came from "Mindset".

So, I REALLY like your question referring to whether students in the studies were working at their challenge level.