Originally Posted by geofizz
I think you've got a solid plan. I would add to the list "reaffirm to my child that I'm working to improve the situation for next year." Even if these things appear to roll off his back, he does need to learn that there are adults he can trust and who are thinking about his needs.

I've posted ads nearly word for word to yours for such college students. I've gotten some really excellent students this way. Kind, nerves of steel, creative, and flexible.

Just lately, I've been acutely aware of reminding DS I've got his back, I love him, and I will take care of him no matter what happens with school. This may sound just a bit overwrought, but this situation has been traumatic for ME. I'm not sure about him. I think it's partly because I've been down this road once before with my older son--different circumstances but finding myself needing to seek help immediately and feeling like his entire future is at stake.

I wonder how many parents of special needs kids actually have PTSD?

I have used our university's employment services several times in the past and found outstanding sitters. This year--the plan was for DS to go home alone (because it is only an hour before I'm there), but we changed that at semester when it was clear he was checked out, academically. So now he goes to Grandma's and she supervises homework. Unfortunately, Grandma really has no patience for the issues (they *are* difficult--he can sit and stare at something for 30 minutes before initiating). I think someone with a little more energy would be helpful.

Originally Posted by DeeDee
Our DS12 is like that too. We take our blessings mixed. But I think this little bit of insulation is a good thing in middle school, on the whole.

I will take any blessing I can get right now! smile Ironically, the whole idea behind this program is to insulate these highly gifted children from social stressors by placing them in a safe environment so they can be intellectually nurtured with their peers.

The more I read about autism and NLD, etc., the more I think that's what I'm going to hear next week. On the one hand, that is scary and a huge paradigm shift. On the other, it will give me a better working model than the current ADHD dx which only fits to a certain point.

Serenity prayer time. smile