Originally Posted by indigo
Regarding late work being marked down, you may wish to check the class syllabus, parent/student handbook, and/or school policy and practice statements to see if there were statements to notify about this proactively and manage expectations. This could potentially be modified by your child's 504 plan.

You may wish to document the encounter with the principal, including a list of the e-mails which you shared with him. It is not unheard of for an administrator to appear to flip-flop and become rather protective of the system (possibly after the legal department is consulted). You may wish to ask him about such things as: next steps, when he will get back to you after reviewing the circumstances to-date, etc. You may wish to state up-front that your goal is to ensure your child can continue in the program.

Thanks, good advice. I knew these assignments were technically "too late." That's why I went in to speak with the teacher, to discuss whether or not he was willing to accept the assignments. I explained that my son is having a rough time and what we are doing to address it. Since he agreed to accept the assignments--I *assumed* he meant he would give partial credit. Not expecting high marks, just hoping to get to a point where recovery (to a C) is possible. I guess, arguably, 24/300 and 1/50 is "partial credit." confused

It never occurred to me the teacher would print off the assignments, supply materials, and then give so few points it was futile. Particularly on the huge project--which DS lost in transit. Teacher knew he'd worked on it for weeks. I have email saying it was "coming along nicely."

I thought the teacher was being flexible and demonstrating his concern. Evidently, he was more interested in a power trip. Ugly behavior. Live and learn.