Originally Posted by Quantum2003
I have found that the kids with issues tend to get in the most trouble when there is a substitute.
The sub didn't leave poor report. No points were deducted on the days sub was in room. The regular teacher deducted them, because my son was talking to his student worker.

Otherwise, everything that you have mentioned are normal consequences in our middle school. Participation points are routinely deducted for misbehavior. For instance, one of my 6th graders lost 5 percentage points for talking during one single P.E. class such that if he is caught talking during nine P.E. classes, his grade for the quarter would be 55% and thus failing. It is also not uncommon for a teacher to grant a zero for late assignments, especially if they are more than a day or two late; furthermore, the students would still be required to turn in the assignment or risk failing altogether..

Those may be "normal" consequences but they are absurd and not child/education centered. Behavioral issues should have behavioral consequences and academic issues should have academic consequences.

It is particularly unpleasant and difficult to navigate when a teacher has taken a dislike to your child or at least your child's behavior. You really have no choice but to bring in the 504 team to avoid a disaster.

Yeah, this is a first for us.