Originally Posted by DeeDee
My gut feeling is that they reflect "standard-issue" responses to ADHD and/or autism. Once you have the report, you will be able to see exactly what they are recommending and whether those recommendations make sense for your child.

FWIW: the standard-issue accommodations don't work for all kids, and they are very often misapplied by people who don't know what to do but want to do something. If they don't fit the needs you see (I bet they won't, based on what you've said), you should call a meeting to discuss with the school team.
The most significant thing I can think of that could occur in the classroom, is providing a seat near the teacher and maybe allowing him to go somewhere else (quiet) for tests? Sadly, the two best days of his life at school seem to have been when he went to ISS (3rd grade, and last week). It was so quiet and peaceful! He really likes to socialize but doesn't seem to have any savvy about when to STOP. And switching gears for him is painfully slow.

I see no way in which "sensory" anything will address the social perception mistakes your DS makes.
I agree. I've started an informal curriculum on my own (ha!). For instance--last night was band Spring Concert and the trumpets got off to a really bad start...we have it on video. He played it over and over last night. We were all cracking up about it (well, it was funny! trumpets can make some really strange sounds!)

So I told him that even though it was funny...it might hurt someone's feelings if he teased them about it. I reminded him of something that hurt his feelings really badly, once (a substitute told him he'd be "flipping burgers" for a career. He was devastated). I told him that even though it wouldn't bother him if someone teased him about blowing a bad note, some people would be sensitive to that and it might hurt their feelings.

His response? Well...it wouldn't bother me. UGH. And it wouldn't! He did agree to put the "Trumpet Incident" off the table, as far as joke fodder.

Does that sound like autistic type social unawareness?

IME "sensory issues" are far overdiagnosed and often not the central issue they are made out to be. (I once had an earnest OT tell me DS's autism was "caused by his sensory issues.") OTs have a limited toolkit and this particular part of the toolkit is poorly grounded in science.
Maybe this is manipulative, but I'm not sure I care any more, to tell the truth: I am thinking that having the OT identify sensory issues is kind of a back door into Special Ed. Since there has been no success getting evaluation through the district. I'm beginning to think the only way to keep him in this program is if they are afraid of kicking him out.

Whether or not they are working on the sensory issues, they are going to need to do something throughout the school day about the social/behavioral mistakes. I would want a board-certified behavior analyst observing at school, and talking with the teachers about what they see, and helping make a plan to address these concerns.
I guess I need to find a behavior analyst! I don't even know what that is. There is an awful lot to learn, isn't there?

I think you as a parent have a big role in helping people stay on target-- keep your eyes on the prize, have a list of the most crucial issues on hand, and when people want to steer toward peripheral issues, keep asing about the crucial ones.
It's a trick, trying to sort it all out. I agree: it's the behaviors, first and foremost. And secondly, it's his organization/attention. I have a feeling the teachers would be more willing to work on the second, if the first was improved.