Originally Posted by blackcat
Are teachers telling the class that student X has ADHD and student Y has autism? I find that rather disturbing.

When DS was in 3rd we found that other children were afraid of him-- he was unpredictable and got upset about things that didn't bother other people. The brilliant and loving teacher decided we had to do something. With our explicit permission and DS's, she taught the kids a little bit about autism and he talked a little bit about how it is for him. This event (lasting probably less than an hour) was transformative-- once the other kids understood how it is for him, they weren't afraid of him, which vastly improved the atmosphere in the classroom and his peer relationships.

It was transformative for DS, too, to know that his difference could be named, understood, and accommodated.

I wouldn't do this with just any teacher, or in just any situation. But in our particular setting that year, it meant a lot.

DS is also quite "out" about his autism now. We try never to let him use it as an excuse, but he does use it as a way of explaining his experience. He owns his dx. That will no doubt have bad aspects, if he tells the wrong people and they use it against him, but he has to have some ownership of that information, because the autism is not going away.

But yes, if school personnel disclosed IEP details without my permission, I would be upset. That hasn't happened.

DeeDee