We requested that the school evaluate DS5, who is in kindergarten, despite the fact that his (excellent) K teacher thought that he was within the normal range for all of his behaviors. We had the evaluation meeting just before break, and it turned out that they qualified him for an IEP on the basis of behavior and also speech. Our IEP meeting is this Friday.

DD9 is on a 504 for dysgraphia and ADHD, neither of which I believe that she has (at least not any more), and SPD, which she probably does. Honestly, I don't think she's actually receiving any accommodations that any kid in the class wouldn't get without a need for a 504 right now. But the IEP process is a little different and new to us.

They were talking about "push-in" to work with him on social skills in the classroom. Can anyone explain to me a little about what that means? Right now he's still really in a parallel play phase, and rarely interacts much with other kids in the classroom. He likes them - he just doesn't really do stuff with them. I'm sure they'll tell me more about what they're planning at the meeting on Friday, but I'd like to go in having some understanding.

The SLP wants to work with him on summarizing and other comprehension skills (I assume on a "pull-out" basis). His teacher has him in a much lower reading group than we expected, mostly because he can't seem to retell a story that he just read. But the SLP discovered that he can't retell a story that he just heard any better, so the problem doesn't really necessarily seem to be reading comprehension. "Hyperlexia" has been thrown around a bit, but he's able to define words quite well, so I don't think that's exactly right. He did really well on a test of identifying opposites of words, for example.

We had a neuropsych test done, and the advice pretty much boiled down to "no diagnosis, but something is not quite right with this kid."

Does anyone have any BTDT advice for me?