Originally Posted by polarbear
Originally Posted by puffin
I understand that a diagnosis can be comforting

The cool thing is - more and more children, today, in school and with vigilant parents at home - are having their challenges recognized and identified and they're getting help and accommodations. It's a *good* thing. Really!

polarbear

Except that there are quite a few people in the autism community who resent it being called a disability or disorder or something that needs to be helped or changed (at least the very mild forms of it.) http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Neurodiversity

I struggle with this even in terms of DS's DCD. Does it really matter if he's uncoordinated as long as he can function? Is it really to his benefit to make him go to physical therapy/occupational therapy to "fix" him? At what point do you let it go and just let the person be? What if he doesn't care if he can ever do jumping jacks? We make him learn it anyway? No easy answers. He's in PT and OT so obviously right now I'm taking the route of "intervention" and trying to do what I can, but is it really reasonable? Who knows. Another mom friend I have has a kid in junior high who probably has DCD and she never did any therapies or anything. He is not in sports but is happy and does just fine.