Originally Posted by polarbear
The one thing I'd ask about in the meeting is that he be moved up into a higher level reading group that is appropriately challenging for him.

We are on the same wavelength (as usual), because that was already something I was going to ask about. I think he actually is in the top-level reading group already, but I want to ask about what books they're having him read in class and how he is doing with it. (At parent-teacher conferences, she said that his measured reading level was at about the level they want kids to reach by the end of kindergarten, so even the level they have him at is relatively high - I just don't think it's as high as what I thought would it would be given what we see at home.) I really do think that his kindergarten teacher is really good and really wants to work with him, so I'm not expecting a lot of pushback there. None of us were expecting the paragraph comprehension scores he got, so we're all sort of feeling our way in figuring out what to do next.

I agree that I really liked the school SLP. I hope she is able to make progress with him. He did seem to enjoy the testing with her, from what she said about it. (When she came to pull him out of class, he insisted on going and asking the teacher if it was OK to go with her, which she said she's never had a child do before. We were all amused by that.)