Originally Posted by ElizabethN
He's been reading since he was three, and he can read difficult books aloud with very good expression. He's not great at explaining them, but he does fine with comprehension tests that ask questions that are no so open-ended.

I would *not* call that hyperlexia. Hyperlexics truly don't understand what they're reading.

My DS11 was thought to be possibly hyperlexic, when actually he was just an autistic very early reader. Sometimes the distinction is not obvious.

It appears to me that the problem is with retelling, not with comprehension.

From what you say, me too.

I don't have a copy of the school testing to be able to tell you which tests they gave him and how he scored on those.

They didn't give you a copy of the written evaluation team report? They should have. I'd request one. You need that as your guide to what the team found.

He flies off the handle at the least thing, and doesn't seem to have strategies beyond screaming for dealing with the world not going his way.

My sympathies. DS11 was like that too, and I don't remember K as being our best year, for sure. Things will get better.

I would get a private neuropsych involved, not to repeat the testing you've already got, but to do some supplemental testing. For educational planning, it is worth figuring all this out.

I would definitely want an ADOS and a NEPSY, as well as a Conner's rating scale and a Vineland adaptive skills questionnaire. Perhaps an ASRS (Autism Spectrum Rating Scale) and Achenbach Child Behavior Checklist, though I think those don't start being valid until age 6.

And yes, my preference would be to go to a place where there is a high level of expertise about autism. We got our first testing that started to make sense at the autism center of a children's hospital.

Having a very clear idea of what's going on is, IMO, essential for knowing what to do to improve things.

DeeDee