Originally Posted by master of none
But Dee Dee, what if the "club" is a job and no jobs want you due to your disability? What if it's school and school is compulsory? When you have choice, it's great to use that choice if you want to, but it also allows organizations that do not want to deal with disabilities to continue to discriminate.

I'm not saying we all must bust down the boundaries, but there have been many who have sacrificed to do just that so that we may have a choice of places that will take our kids with disabilities.

Absolutely-- I'm not saying I enjoy discrimination. I worry a great deal about how on earth DS will make it through a job interview.

Something like 13% of adults with autism have non-sheltered jobs. It's a very low number.

I'm just saying that right now, we are being selective about environments and still protecting DS from those where we think he won't be successful due to others' biases. I imagine that our college search and his eventual job search will have some of that flavor. Sad that it still must be this way.

DeeDee