Originally Posted by master of none
From personal experience, I can say that more doors have been closed for people that I know who have obvious disability or who have disclosed their disability (and working in professions with disabled, I know many). Though some doors have been opened. For my DS, we generally get a negative reaction from at least half of the teachers when they are informed of the disability--something along the lines of "well, we have high expectations in this class..." And he has been outright been excluded from some things due to knowledge of the disability.

We have had this experience. However, it can also be a screener that works to our advantage. If we contact a summer camp and ask if people with Asperger's are welcome, and give them some indication of DS's profile, and they are hostile or ill-informed, I know that he won't have a good experience there anyway. If they are warmly welcoming, unafraid, and seem already to have some sense of what accommodations could look like, it is more likely to be positive for him.

Kind of like only wanting to join clubs that actually want to have us as members.

I do chafe at the limits of inclusion, but we will keep trying to make our way.

DeeDee