Originally Posted by Pemberley
marytheres I don't think anyone who takes the time to research these issues, find this board, read all the information posted here and then post asking questions to help their child could EVER be thought of as a bad person or a bad parent. No way. And I don't think anyone here implied that. Sometimes advocating for your child is just exhausting - physically and emotionally. It really takes a toll. Ask any parent here - we've all been right where you find yourself now. Passionately advocating for your child while at the same time trying to figure out just what it is that s/he needs.

You and I share an unfortunate experience - someone in the school who has made the situation worse. MUCH worse. And a child who has responded very, VERY badly to that person's actions. If the pysch saw only the result of your son's exposure to this person she may have legitimately believed that "in her professional opinion" she was seeing something that needs to be addressed. It doesn't mean that she is right and it doesn't mean that you are wrong for fighting to keep that label away from your child.

Hopefully with the new correct diagnosis your son's needs will be met more appropriately. With an improved learning environment hopefully there will be no further behavior issues so it will be a moot point. However if his anxiety is triggered again somehow, just as my daughter's was when a substitute triggered her memories of her terrible kindergarten experience, you may want to revisit the issue. If this happens it doesn't mean that you are wrong, or a bad parent or anything else. It just means that figuring all this out is a process. It is hell while you are in the worst of it but I for one have to hope that we can come out the other side with situations as successful as DeeDee's, polarbear's, mon's and the other parents further along on this path who so patiently stick around this board to help us through the rough patches.

{hugs} to you.

Thanks! I don't think anyone here was implying that either - sorry if I came off that way ... Everyone has been very helpful. I truly appreciate and find helpful everyone's posts and advice here.