Originally Posted by marytheres
Originally Posted by DeeDee
And a correct label offers a handle for teachers and peers who would otherwise label a child "a behavior problem," "a bad kid," or worse-- I would much rather my DS and his peers know he has a disability than think he is a "bad kid."
I want them to give him the breaks because they know that his eyes are fatigued and strained not because they think he has ADHD... I am sorry if that if that makes me a bad person or bad mom or whatever but I am just not comfortable with it. I truly think that a wrong label would only hurt DS and I am not willing to do it.

I'm definitely not saying to allow your child to be mislabeled. I would argue against that too. Just saying that the right label has uses, and there is nothing wrong with "labeling" per se if the labels are correct and used correctly.

No, I would not let them "diagnose" something that is not there; if need be bring an advocate or an outside professional to the meeting to help you make your case to the team until you are satisified that they understand what's going on.

If School Psych is concerned about behaviors she's seen in the past, but those behaviors are not there now, let her know you'd be happy to revisit the issue if those problems re-surface. There really isn't a point in taking data on something that isn't there, and any behavior analysis should be based on data.

It's really important that the IEP reflect reality to the best extent possible.

DeeDee