BY the way, DS' regular, daily kindergarten teacher was wonderful and "would not endorse any" behavioral disorders (psych's words/complaint). He loved DS and knew he was struggling and thought he was gifted but was at loss as to why Ds was so stressed and anxious (at the time). All of DS' "specials teachers" that is - art, library, music teacher said really nice things about DS commenting on his creativity and intelligence (quoted in the IEP, which was so nice to read). The main problem last year was an "assistant" a reading assistant who was awful to DS. She was so rigid and hard on my DS (shamed him publicly a few times) that he deteriorated completely... And when I say deteriorated, I mean it, I never saw him fall apart so badly it was so disturbing and upsetting. He was so anxious he couldn't swallow. Literally couldn't swallow (causing all kinds physical problems even). I literally had to ptich a complete fit with teacher and school to get DS out of the the assistant's daily group. Once he was out of her group and away form her he recovered really well and by the end of the year he was "normal" again. Teacher apologized to me for letting the assistant problem go on for so long at the risk of DS. But I truly feel psych felt like DS should have just been able to "obey" the assistant. She doens;t believe the assistnat was at fault at all - she thinks DS is the problem. I think DS' hiddent disabilities and giftedness paired with an awful assistant caused DS breakdown but of course schools never see any "problems" on their side.

Last edited by marytheres; 09/14/12 06:13 PM.