Originally Posted by DeeDee
I'm sorry it makes you feel pursued in a bad way-- if "child find" is what's going on here, I actually find it good that someone is taking that legal obligation seriously. It certainly isn't taken seriously where we are. Perhaps you could just ask the psych why s/he thinks what she thinks and why s/he is taking the actions s/he is.

No, not at all. I'm like you in that I believe in trying to help kids when they need it. I don't really feel affected by whatever motives they have. I'm taking a leap of faith and assuming that their primary goal is to help our kids. Why wouldn't it be?

They're actually not taking any action at all, just suggesting that I look into ASD further (and this is after I've already had a psychologist rule it out, so it's not like they have an issue with any apathy or non-compliance on my part).

I think that each parent's experience is affected by their own level of involvement. I don't think they "take action" with me because I'm already proactive. I might be having a different experience with them if I ignored their concerns and refused to have DS tested.

Also they've never said anything about any legal obligation to identify kids with issues. It doesn't mean there is no obligation - I just haven't heard about it. They have said, though, several times, that an ASD tag gets better funding. Maybe they're trying to motivate me rather than make me feel pressured? Who knows. Whatever - it is what it is.

They're not looking to falsely tag anyone - they just don't want me to miss a funding opportunity. If DS is assessed by our provincial autism network and found to not be on the spectrum, then the school district would cross that off their list of possible care options.

Last edited by CCN; 09/16/12 02:19 PM.