Originally Posted by DeeDee
And a correct label offers a handle for teachers and peers who would otherwise label a child "a behavior problem," "a bad kid," or worse-- I would much rather my DS and his peers know he has a disability than think he is a "bad kid."

Totally agree! This is exactly what I want as well! But I want them to have the RIGHT disability not one that is not DS - i.e, hypotonia and vision disorder and related anxiety not something DS does not have. And, yes, I hear you that since some of the same accomodations for, say, ADHD overlap with the vision disorder (like breaks) so I should be okay with an ADHD label for example b/c even though it doesn't fit b/c either way he still gets his breaks BUT I just am NOT comfortable with that. And I honestly don't know much about ADHD - I do know how the vision thing is affecting DS and I do know what he needs for it. YKIM? I want them to give him the breaks because they know that his eyes are fatigued and strained not because they think he has ADHD... I am sorry if that if that makes me a bad person or bad mom or whatever but I am just not comfortable with it. I truly think that a wrong label would only hurt DS and I am not willing to do it.

Last edited by marytheres; 09/16/12 01:53 PM.