Originally Posted by marytheres
But I truly feel psych felt like DS should have just been able to "obey" the assistant. She doens;t believe the assistnat was at fault at all - she thinks DS is the problem. I think DS' hiddent disabilities and giftedness paired with an awful assistant caused DS breakdown but of course schools never see any "problems" on their side.

Of course they don't... sigh. I'm sorry that happened.

I'm grateful you've shared this as well... I'm training to be a teaching assistant as we speak (I have a class tomorrow smile ). I'm impressed so far, actually, about how much the instructors have been emphasizing how important compassion is.

Maybe your son's assistant was too focused on achievement. I wonder if that was just her personality or if she was under pressure to produce results? (I think I may err the other way...in my application I stressed that I feel I can contribute by making kids feel welcome and safe in school... and they still accepted me into the program, ha ha)

Anyway it's good to hear that your DS has a good teacher. That can make all the difference.

Last edited by CCN; 09/14/12 06:15 PM.