We had a very ah ha type moment last night. DD 5 is in 1st grade. She hates to do homework. I think we figure out why. Her math homework usually has between 5-15 questions and she finishes them in all of 5 minutes and her reading questions are usually around 4 (The teacher usually writes these for her because they don't have any questions for the book she's reading). She finishes her math homework in 30 seconds to 1 minute. Her reading takes her about 2-5 minutes depends on what the question wants. We finally figure out that she doesn't like to do it because it's not challenging. She works at a much higher level in both those subjects. They are working on time, counting money and greater than or less than. They've now each about 5 times and she knew it after the first time and is bored with it. Her reading, she loves to read, is reading Mouse and the Motorcycle for fun at the moment but in school they are making her read Junie B. Jones and then ask her questions such as What is one important thing that happened in Chapter 1? What's the Characters Name? I can see it when I watch her. She hates it. It's time for Parent/Teacher meetings in a week or two and my husband and I decided that we were going to talk to her teacher and pull her gifted teacher in because there has to be something better. When she's with the gifted teacher they do much harder math stuff and much harder reading questions.

No one told me that it was going to be this difficult raising a gifted child.