I was a "smart kid" as well. Never knew my exact IQ score since most of the scores I still have came from the standardized testings and those don't give IQ scores.

I always found school easy--and confusing in the early grades. I couldn't understand why the other kids didn't know the answers. It was very hard for me to be the only one raising my hand all the time. I was one of the youngest due to moving across states where the cut-off was Dec 1st to September 30th.

I read at the age of 4, was great at math and memorizing numbers. My childhood parlor trick was to memorize family, friends and relatives social security numbers and then recite it back to then the next time I saw them. Luckily I grew out of that one early--I think people would be afraid to give me that information now.

As far as friendships go, I had some but usually it was a two close friends. I think most people found me to be an acquaintance. Most days after school I would read, play on my computer, or as I got older work a part time job. I still have some mild social anxiety in large groups that I know was affecting me back in the school days as well. I was happy for the most part though. I loved my books and fantasy world. It kept me out of trouble.

DH, on the other hand, struggled in school. He is bilingual and reading and writing are really not his strong points. I would say he falls into the average student range.

Does this affect our parenting--absolutely. I don't want my children to go through school thinking everything is too easy--I want them to have some challenge. When I got to college--it was a wake up call for me in some aspects. Finally teachers expected more of me. It was wonderful.

Now with all that being said, I am debating taking the Mensa adult qualifying test. I am curious if I would get in. Has anybody done it?

Crisc