My husband was tested and is MG as far as his mom remembers. He moved constantly from one school to another due to a bad family situation so he is still the class clown. He tends to down play his intelligence, especially anything mechanical, because he reads slower and his biological father always called him stupid. He, to this day underestimates his ability to learn and retain and doesn't consider himself smart. I could easily do great bodily harm to his biological father if I ever met him.

I have no idea if I was tested. I went to a private accelerated school that tried to meet my needs. Things went down hill when I was transfered to a public school for jr high and high school. I know I was bored to death and had many run ins with teachers trying to get me to pay attention to them, all until I pointed out to the science teacher in an ever so innocent way that I couldn't answer his problem because it was formulated wrong. Sadly the chemistry teacher confirmed this when the science teacher tried to put me in my place in front of the entire class. They left me alone after that to argue Hawkings with a few other students who understood, but I only had a few friends. I worked full time and went to nursing school full time and graduated magnum cume laude, and first in my class, without having to study. (I'm sure everyone hated that.)

I've always just figured I can read fast, learn easily, and retain well. My parents were disappointed that I decided not to pursue a higher degree and instead put my husband through college and after working for seven years in a field I love, now raise our five children. Your classic underachiever. LOL

My biggest memory is always hating school, and being bored out of my mind, with very few friends who understood me. Maybe I was Aspergers like my oldest daugher? Who knows? My focus now is allowing my children to follow their own paths. After four years of trying to work with the school system we pulled them this year at their request. Yes, each was given the choice, even at five. We are trying to allow them to pursue their interests and nurture their needs rather than make them conform. I am working very hard to try to understand my oldest daughter, who still baffles me. Beyond that I am trying to let them have fun with learning and hopefully pick up some of their fathers fun loving personality. I'm to serious. Truth.

I'm sure we could all go on, but I definately didn't assume my children would be smart. They amaze me every day. smile

EPGY OE Volunteer Group Leader