Originally Posted by Pemberley
DH is dead set on the 2E school. ... He is quite comfortable in Major City and would have no problem with the weekly commute. He would actually love to spend time living there - as an art professor there are endless ways for him to spend his time productively. In a weird way it would also be easier for him to deal with living with his mother in law than for me to live with my mother. None of this is insurmountable - just uncomfortable.

Sounds as though you *could* say, we'll try this for a year, and see how we are all doing as a family at the end of that year.

You wouldn't go back to public schools where you are anyhow, I am thinking, but after a year you will know in your bones whether 2E school is worth the effort, or not, and what DD needs then. The needs will change, that is certain.

Going to the 2E school would mean signing a one year contract. All but $2500 refundable by September 1. All but $5000 by October 1. After that the contract is locked. We can't just say "Sorry. Not working. Changed our minds."

No, but you could say "this is the only year we're doing this; it was an experiment; off to try the next thing." It would not be a permanent move; it would be a trial.

My thinking is along the lines of "Where can she be this time next year?" ... My hope was the focus would be getting her up to speed on keyboarding and/or voice-to-text.

Does 2E school have specialties in this area? Because I agree; once you've remediated the core issues, other placements would become possible, though I find it likely that she will need some kinds of support for a while, and understanding by teachers and admins for the long term.

If either of the local options can focus intently on getting her independent in terms of some form of writing (by hand, keyboard or dictation) and stronger in terms of her reading then next year we may have more options available to us.

True. But in #2, you have no guarantee that they would do what you think she needs. Would #3 work properly on AT use and keyboarding etc.? Do they have a lot of kids who need that?

But since this is the focus this year the 2Eness is less of an issue than it might be in future years. I am sure cold feet is part of it but its not the only thing. At least I don't think it is...

I get your point and I'm with you here: for us, the disabilities were biggest in early elementary, and the giftedness took a back seat. At some point around late 4th-5th, the giftedness started driving the bus for DS (disability still a huge factor but more like a co-factor). The remediation should be a serious priority.

Yet-- to what extent does your DD need gifted peers? Is that important to her, or not? How about instruction at her level-- will she be sad or depressed if that doesn't happen, or okay to just do school and participate? This is so kid-dependent.

DeeDee