We just signed our Kindergarten enrollment paperwork for DD at her Spanish Immersion school. I'm still a little uneasy about it all. The school isn't very old and is dealing with some growing pains, plus they are working on IB certification which makes the growing pains more apparent. But after turning the paperwork in I stopped to talk to one of the moms whose child is in Kindergarten. She has been thrilled with the teacher and told me that one of the boys in the class is gifted in math so the teacher works with him at his level. I was overjoyed to hear it. He has his a separate math book and lessons.

As for DD's class of now: there is such a wide ability in there from kids who don't know their ABCs to those that can read and her teacher is having a hard time providing for the ones at the top of the class since she needs to focus her attention on the lower end. So the school is bringing in a part-time teacher to help her out. On the days that the other teacher is there DD's teacher will be able to work exclusively with the 5 or so kids that are reading which means DD will get the needed attention. She has also tried to spend some one on one time with DD when she can. She will hold her back from recess for 5 minutes or so to work on some reading. She asked me if we were okay with this but I have no problem with it since DD already misses some recess time on the day that she has piano lessons. BTW: they also get PE so I know DD is getting the needed exercise while at school.

On a side note, DD's piano lessons are going well. Her teacher is floored with her abilities and is shocked that DD already reads notes from the sheet music. Last two notes home to us was about how amazing she is and is now playing by herself.