Time for a update... DS3 seems to basically like preschool and we have not heard of problems from the school. I am down on it today though -- tonight for example he mentioned he got a time out at school for not sitting down at circle time, he was wandering around. (I don't know the circumstances but our own discipline policy at home only does time outs for more serious infractions, so extremely rarely, thus it seems like a harsh measure.) There seem to be a lot of rules.

And then there is the monotone intonations he makes about letters, "D. D for Dog. D for Dinosaur" in a flat voice. I ask what books they read to them and it's all very simplistic letter oriented stuff, except for every couple weeks there is a day with more real stories, which he enjoys. He did mention he is not required to sing one of the songs -- apparently the other kids do but he doesn't want to and isn't made to. Possibly due to him knowing the subject of it already -- or maybe they just haven't figured out how to force him to participate, LOL.

I really deeply dislike the "artwork" he brings home, pre-fab things where the child has no part in it except to follow one or two instructions. Such as stickers stuck on a picture the teacher drew or cut out.

The last and unhappiest bit is his class has a new teacher, the new one is nice also and trying really hard to make the kids like her -- but of course it's an adjustment. He was much more bonded to the original teacher than to the other kids so in a way it's starting all over again.

He seems to not mind going, he would rather stay home in the morning but he runs inside once he's there and then usually is looking wound up and happy when he comes out. I just feel like the schema of it is designed to kill creativity and make him into a sheep. But then again I guess maybe that is the inevitable nature of school in general and one learns to manage within the boundaries of it?

We are moving and looking forward to him going to a play-only mixed age coop type preschool after Thanksgiving, my dilemma for the moment is whether to pull him out of this one early or continue for the next month. I guess I don't have a sense of whether damage is being done or whether he will brush it off. I am grateful he is not staying in this one all year, especially with the teacher we had a raport with gone.

Polly