Originally Posted by TwinkleToes
I hear four years talking in very simple ways with very simple language and very unclear, I worry my DD4 won't have kids to really have conversations with, but I could be wrong and I really hope I am!
I wish you were wrong. But you are not wrong. And your DD will pay the price. If you are lucky you will be able to tell by her behavior. If you are unlucky you won't find out until later. Would you send her to a preschool room to be the only 4 year old among 2 year olds to learn social skills? No - no one would. Why would you send her to a preschool room with agemates who are verbally 2-4 years behind her to learn social skills? Do you think that they are having fabulous thoughts on the inside and just not able to express themselves? I think this is possible but unlikely. Normal Human Development is a beautiful thing - it just doesn't help your DD.

She can always talk with her teachers. She has three so she can chat with them.

Now I'm thinking that you are really grasping at straws. If you want her to talk to adults, use the preschool money to hire one. My son used this strategy because I didn't know any better. I was SO clueless at this age. Teachers thought he was immature, clingy, and an attention-hog. I was told that I had to teach him to be less needy by ignoring him more at home so that he'll be less demanding at school. (((teeth grinding - yup I'm still frustrated on that one.)))

But worst of all is the impression he formed of his classmates, and by reflection, of himself. He thought that there was something terribly wrong with him because he was in the classroom for kids who were terribly flawed. He has always played very well with agemates and thought that Adults were 'kinda dumb.' Do you really want a 9 year old who thinks that adults are doing a poor job of running things and that 'from now on I follow my own rules'? Ug!

My DD4 can regress at times too and talk in a babyish way for attention and someone catching that might think that is the only way she communicates and underestimate her.

Yes, this is the way most Adults think. If they didn't think that before they became teachers then they were likely brainwashed during their educations when they were taught about 'normal developmental milestones.' You will wonder why the teachers look at you as though you have 2 heads when you try to communicate to them a fact which they have already been taught couldn't possibly be true. There are exceptions of course, but unless you see chapterbooks among the picture books in the classroom, you probably didn't find one of them.

I think I was just feeling a moment of panic when the curriculm includes learning one letter at a time and the shape of a circle and the number one: things my DDs did well before their second birthday.
Good. That feeling is coming from your mommy gut. Listen to it.

I hope they spend very little time on those sorts of things and just play, do crafts, and sing
It is true that if the percentages are like that she could have a great experience. Especially if it's only a few hours a day or a few days a week.

Spend a day in the classroom and observe. This week. Ask if they plan to ramp up the academics as they go through the year. Ask how much time is devoted to academics, and what she might be able to do instead. Ask the teacher if she has ever taught any kids who did learn their letters at age 2. Bring in your 2 year old and let her talk to the teacher - watch the teacher's body language.

I don't mean to be such a downer, but you are a wonderful mom, of 2 wonderful girls who have some needs that you can't learn about for regular parenting books. or regular conversations with the neighbors. So I feel like I have to be the one to tell you.

Love and More Love,
Grinity

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com