Thanks for posting the link Iucounu. I read through most of it and it is indeed interesting and eye opening to say the least. My DD6 is homeschooled and is so strong willed that out of desperation I did consider unschooling. This summer I did a little 'unschooling' experiment, from this experience I know that we could never unschool. Essentially my DD spent much of the summer cutting up fashion magazines. Sometimes she took pics of her 'cut outs' but that was it. She did not read. No math whatsoever. I kept bringing new books home from the library and casually leaving new math games around. All gentle invitations were declined politely. Now we are gradually easing our way back in to our homeschool schedule, more structured this year because she's in grade one. My DD does not like a challenge, despite her abilities. She is not a kid that would benefit from unschooling, despite how enticing it is from my perspective. What I also discovered is that I am not capable of quietly standing by while she spends hours cutting up magazines, even if it was National Geographic. DP thought that she would eventually move on, but she didn't. I'm sure that unschooling works for some kids and some parents. I wish it would work for us, it would make my life so much more relaxed. DD has a lot of choice during her school day and life in general and I think that there can be a balance for us. I can see that we would both regret unschooling down the line. It was good to read the posts on mothering.com and on this thread as well.

Annaliisa

Last edited by annaliisa; 09/12/10 10:08 PM.