Originally Posted by GreenGully
The whole point of the parents being a part of the equation in unschooling is that they are there to facilitate learning and offer opportunities for that which includes exposing them to a diverse range of experiences. I can't imagine a child being more exposed to the pathways the world in all its diversity than an unschooled kid who gets to spend their days living in it rather than sitting at a desk for six hours a day. It is a complete myth that the unschooled child has less exposure to such things. All it takes is an expressed interest from the child and the parent will hopefully offer various resources to explore that. Sometimes that is in the form of strewing (leaving resources in the child's line of sight without any pressure or expectation that they will take it up - more often used when the parent is hoping to introduce something the child might like into their scope). School just isn't the only way to gain exposure to a range of subjects, in fact my belief and experience is that it really only presents a very limited range of subjects and approaches to learning.
ETA I think there is a misconception that unschooling means zero study. It really doesn't mean that at all. It just means that that study is child directed. And if a child clearly isn't doing anything at all then it should be obvious to the parent that the child needs more structure and that unschooling isn't really working for that child.

Exactly! Strewing and other such techniques are exactly what I had in mind when I talked about slipping bits of learning in.

It's frankly too easy to inject a bit of every subject into everyday life to have a kid get none of one subject for years at a time.

But I was working from the idea of the child who, for years at a time, is getting none of one subject at all--really none! No books around, no conversations about it, no experiments, etc.

In that unlikely case, I think it's probably a sign that a parent isn't unschooling effectively. That's when I would worry about the child not being exposed to stuff s/he might enjoy.

Frankly, I've never seen that IRL. All the unschoolers I know work their tails off to provide that exposure. But I would worry without it.

Kriston