Originally Posted by passthepotatoes
It is really easy for me to imagine it because I've seen it several times over. If the choice is play video games at home or go to school, the kid who is going to school is certainly learning more about "the pathways of the world and all its diversity".

Have you seen unschoolers who play video games all day, every day for months or years? I can't imagine anyone being happy doing that (though I enjoyed a week-long video game marathon well enough back in the day). I know that DD is still very young, but when she uses the computer she does a wide variety of things besides playing games, including watching documentaries, drawing pictures, reading stories, and otherwise learning about a wide variety of topics. I guess my reaction to learning that a child spent all of his or her time playing video games would be that perhaps other choices have not been provided, or perhaps the child has some sort of mental or physical issue preventing him or her from engaging in healthier behavior. Perhaps I am wrong; I know that television and video games can be very addictive, which is one of the reasons we choose not to have them in our house.