Originally Posted by Kriston
LOL, no5no5! I really like the terms "helicopter unschooler" and "lazy-day-at-the-beach unschooler." Nice! laugh I can totally understand why you don't like being lumped in with that style of unschooling.

LOL - me too! And I didn't mean that in a negative way. I was more accentuating my own laziness as a homeschooler. wink The unschoolers I know locally are of the more radical variety! And they would definitely not consider us remotely unschoolers. Even though my kids have tons of unstructured time and free choice compared to most kids. Labels are a bit dangerous. I totally agree that they don't have a lot of value for homeschoolers. That's why if anyone asks I say we're eclectic - covers everything. And we do do a little of everything at one time or another.

Just for the record, our school day is from wake up until 3 pm usually. Although, we are rarely "working" for more than 2-3 hours of that time. No video games or recreational TV during that time! I have kids that would choose to do that all day if they could. Maybe they'd burn out on it eventually. But I'm not going to try it!

Last edited by kimck; 01/31/10 03:27 PM.