I'm going against the grain with this one. �I've been teaching my son since an early age. �I'm teaching �him phonics with short consistent daily lessons because that is how he will be taught throughout his school career. �
I know how much you can accomplish in a few short dedicated weeks. �I was known to read ahead in my textbooks and finish all the review questions in the book for the year in the first few weeks. �Who couldn't? I've seen my son work on other things with that same efficiency. �I just wanted him to learn the other way to learn things too. �
I'm going to let him go to school (as long as he behaves) �And the part I'm taking into my heart from the philosophy of unschooling is that we should explore this amazing world together. �You can't call me an unschooler because I believe we should all try almost everything. � Paraphrasing my dad, "I'm encouraging my kids to try to do everything because while it's important to find out what you're good at and what you like to do, it's equally important to find out all the wonderful things in this world that you s*** at". � (I should google a synonym for that word:).�
The caveat that the more unschooly parents have given me (beyond the general possibility of extinguishing their love of learning) is that by teaching him to learn by the methods the school will teach him, maybe instead of adding another perspective to his understanding I will inadvertently be squashing his natural learning style and replacing it.

I did read all the pages. �I would only add that the family who would let the kid skip school and be a couch potato (not the unschoolers here, the hypothetical ones) is probably going to be proud when said kid has a family, lives close by, and gets promoted to manager of the gas station. �And the pride will be over having a family. �Maybe those particular unschoolers really don't care if the kid comes from behind and becomes wildly successful at in the final moment. �Of course there's also a whole industry around belated adult education. �

Youth lives by personality, age lives by calculation. -- Aristotle on a calendar