Originally Posted by JDAx3
I guess what I don't quite get is how do you direct the child to interests that they (most likely) have, just aren't aware yet how to pursue without taking away the child-led aspect of it? Is this where de-schooling comes into play?

Yes, deschooling can help with this. Also, just wandering around the library and seeing what books interest him. Really, take a LOT of time and browse the shelves. Look at/check out everything that he expresses an interest in. Pursue whatever he wants to take further.

Also, just ask, "What would you like to learn about?" You might be surprised how many big ideas come out of him!

Originally Posted by JDAx3
Has your DS ever said he doesn't want to do anything or that he'd rather sit around and watch TV or something? LOL, this would be my fear with DS, especially in the beginning. I'm anticipating that the transition into school at home (online charter) will be met with some of these challenges at first, until DS gets over the initial "Hey, I'm not at school" frame of mind. Of course, he may surprise me, but I'm preparing myself anyway. I would really like to utilize some of the free time by following his lead to see where the interests take us. However, an interest in the latest/greatest video game or nicktoon show is not someplace I really want to go.

TV and videogames are off limits during school hours unless they are educational (and even then, I limit them for behavioral reasons--my kids get cranky with too much media time!). Legos are also out unless he has a specific plan for how to use them educationally and I approve it. (Again, my non-unschooling colors shine through!) But if I didn't make these rules, nothing much else would get done. Most homeschoolers that I know of--even unschoolers--have some rules like this. That's one of he reasons kids who spend all day watching cartoons worry me. That's not the norm for 99% of the homeschoolers out there.

When deschooling you might be a bit more flexible about things like TV, games and Legos, since what they choose to watch or to build might tell you something about what they would like to pursue. But I'd be wary of setting up "homeschooling = free TV and videogames all the time." You might have some very bad habits to break!

Kriston