Originally Posted by Iucounu
I don't know anything about cooking, but I'm not embarrassed.

LOL. You should be embarrassed if you know so little about cooking that you can't even make yourself eggs and toast. And, personally, I think that cooking is far more important than history. If someone asked me whether I'd trade my baking skills for more knowledge about World War I, I wouldn't even consider it.

What would you do if your child wanted to do nothing but read all day and build with blocks, and didn't like math, despite having just as much access to quality math materials as everything else? Would you ever step in to ensure that he or she learned some math, beyond what they'd pick up naturally by counting household items etc.? Would you figure that he or she would learn math when ready, or when the need arose, and just faithfully wait year by year for it to happen?

At this point my child is 4 1/2, and can do at least first-grade-level math, so it's hard for me to speculate. Honestly, it's also hard for me to imagine what math she might need (if she is not interested in math and presumably will not choose a career in that field) that she could not pick up naturally by cooking, planning events, etc.

As another example, at what point, if a kid, say, just showed no inclination to read, would you get worried and at least have him/her tested for a learning problem?

I did ask an expert for advice when DD was 3 and reading fluently, but still occasionally reading words backwards (e.g., "saw" for "was"). Predictably, I was told that there was no need to worry yet, and she has since self-corrected.