Yeah, I go back to "do what works," regardless of what you call it. I don't know that there's any reason to strive to be 100% unschooling any more than there is a reason to strive to be 100% parent-led (or 100% teacher-led, for that matter). Putting the philosophy before the needs of the child is certainly contrary to unschooling, and I would argue, it's contrary to the aims of education in general.

Personally, I would be uncomfortable if my child skipped a whole subject for years at a time. But I think that's unlikely. It's too easy to slip learning in, either by making the subject appeal to their particular way of learning or by dropping little bits here and there so they don't even realize they're getting the subject.

But I'm not really an unschooler.

I wasn't offended, BassetLover. smile I just wanted you to know that stuff like that video is out there, and there's usually an agenda behind it. Skepticism is warranted.

Frankly, I figure that even if there's a family out there who is "unschooling," which translates for them as not serving their kids' educational needs at all, it has nothing to do with anyone else's version of unschooling. It's not like there's only one way to do it, you know? So what one family calls unschooling might look nothing at all like what another unschooling family does. It's ridiculous for news organizations to try to present that one family as representative. I always hate to see that kind of bias presented as if it were fact. frown

Last edited by Kriston; 08/20/10 09:54 PM. Reason: Oops! I named the wrong person!

Kriston