Originally Posted by Iucounu
So I guess that in me, we have proof that what you consider to be a vital skill won't necessarily be created by this mighty embarrassment force you mentioned before.

I never said that it couldn't happen. I just said that I don't think it happens in healthy people, and a total disregard for learning basic self-care skills strikes me as pretty unhealthy.

Originally Posted by Iucounu
I guess that as has been noted previously, different people place emphasis on different things. I would think myself neglectful if I sent my children off to college without what I consider to be basic math skills at that level (which are higher than basic counting, quarter fractions, etc. needed to be an event planner or baker). But I guess that it's not really necessary to have kids that are ready for college, either-- we've got to have some event planners and garbage people in the mix.

Perhaps I should have mentioned that I self-taught math through algebra without the aid of textbooks. I also taught my older sister, and by the time I was in the classes (years later) they were a total waste of time. So when I say that I think DD can teach herself math, I certainly don't just mean arithmetic. But it absolutely is true that many people do not need math skills. One can certainly be a lawyer, a doctor, a college professor, etc., etc., without entering college with math skills beyond the algebra level. Of course one can also decide not to go to college and be a garbage collector, and there's nothing wrong with that if it allows one to lead a happy, fulfilled life.